Sunday, December 2, 2007

From Beowulf to Part 1 of His Dark Materials - the Golden Compass

I made myself a point to finish reading the novel version (not the original poem) of Beowulf before I watch the movie. It proved to be a wise move as the movie was fast-paced and left out many gaps. Although the book also tells a simple story but at least it tells the whole story... more wholesomely.


I really marvel at those men who live during those middle ages (in the case, men in Beowulf's era). Life was so simple. The ultimate goal and life path of a Great man is to be a hero, only die for glory, honor and in battle... and of course, bed with every woman that they like in sight... so raw, so basic, so primitive and erotic. As for the women folks, as expected, their sole role is to entertain, to serve the men and do the household chores.

In short, Beowulf 2007 is not the best CG movie to my opinion. However, rather entertaining and enlightening...especially with all the violence and erotic scenes that you hardly get to see on PG movie acted by real humans.

Oh, there is one thing that puzzle me in the movie..How come the merewife (Grendel's Mother) wear high heels?

The best part I like about the movie is its soundtrack - Beowulf The Main Title and the A Hero Comes Home. these songs seem to be bale to evoke a man's ego and make me feel proud to be a man. Ha ha

When the story of Beowulf ends, another one unfold....The Golden Compass

I am reading the book - Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, now. The Golden Compass is Part 1 of the 3. I have to say I really enjoy reading it as the English written is simple but not childish (unlike Narnia...OMG!) and I really engage myself into the world of Lyra...So, lets Lyra's adventure envelopes and intoxicates me. "Lyra, comes to me!"

P/s: I hope I can finish reading this story before seeing the Movie, which will be shown on cinema at Malaysia on 6.12.07. (Note: I finished reading The Golden Compass on 5.12.07, 8pm. What a great story!)

By the way, here I present my daemon - Artemidoris, to you? Isn't she beautiful?