Monday, May 19, 2008

Vesak Day 19.5.08


19.5.08 is the Vesak day, the day which Malaysian Buddhists commemorate the birth, the enlightenment and the passing of Gautama Buddha.

Although I often fill in the 'Religion' column of any forms as "Buddhism", i was never a true practitioner.
My mom is practising Buddhism and Taoism. So, conveniently I just pick one and adopt one.
I guess the only time I am being 'exposed' to Buddhism is when I accompany my mom visiting Buddhist temples for prayers. To be fair, those visits were more of learning about prayer rituals rather than true Budhhism teachings.
If anyone ever ask if I am ashamed for not learning about the family's religion, I think not because both learning and practising religious teachings should be free will. It should not bring pressure onto an individual and cannot be made a mandatory practise in order to conform to a certain social definition or perception of a community. After all, to my opinion, religion is a personal matter between an individual and his / her God. Moreover, Buddhism is a teaching rather commonly labelled as a religion.

In Buddhism, anyone can become a Buddha because Buddhism is about reaching the "Awakening" status of our mind. The word " Buddha" itself means "Awakened one" in Sanskrit (language of ancient Buddhist text).

Unlike previous years, I did not think of visiting temples during Vesak day unless i am with my mom. This year, I actually thought of visiting one to pay homage and respect to Gautama Buddha. Coincidentally, a few days ago, a gym friend of mine invited me to visit a Buddhist Monastery on Vesak day.

So, I did. I first when to a Buddhist cum Taoist temple that morning, did all the rituals of lighting up candles, burning joss-sticks and make some donations to the temple and the poors who were sitting at the entrance of the temple. Next, I went to the nearby Buddhist monastery to meet up with my gym friend.

Upon arrival at the monastery, the first thing that i noticed was its environment. Compared to the atmosphere at most temples, with devotees busy minding their own praying activities, the atmosphere at the monastery was calmer and serene. First, its architecture seem blended into to its surroundings and nature - trees, plants and water. There was also a sense of openness and welcoming feeling. Devotees at the monastery also seem to be more at ease, friendlier and approachable.

Again, I performed the rituals. This time, the offerings also included some flowers and fruits. These rituals are no stranger to me, except I had little understanding of their significance in relation to Buddhism.

At about 9 am, the other rituals followed suit. Both devotees, the monks and nuns sang the hymn in praise of the holy triple gems / jewels - which I had no ideas what they meant.

During the prayer breaks, i asked my gym friend and below were what i learnt:

  • The Holy triple jewels / gems refer to The Buddha, The Dharma (his teachings) and The Sangha (his disciples). They are called the jewels / gems because they are precious for someone to follow, learn and attain.
  • The simple symbolic offerings of flowers, candles and joss-sticks are to remind the followers that just as the beautiful flowers would wither away after a short while and the candles and joss-sticks would soon burn out, so too is life subject to decay and destruction.
  • In addition, the burning of joss-sticks and candles also remind followers about sacrifice for greater good. The candles bring light and the joss-sticks bring fragrance by burning themselves.
  • The offerings of flowers and fruits signifies "cause" and "effect". The flowers = Cause and fruits = Effect. So, good deeds lead to goods effects and vice verse.
  • To some other religions, worshipping the statue of Buddha is interpreted as worshiping the Idols. To Buddhists, the statue is just a symbol to remind the followers to constantly following the teachings of Buddhism when they see and kneel before the statue.
  • Why we always offer joss-stick always in three? This is because the "three" reminds the followers to keep overcoming "Greed", "Anger" and "Ignorance" as fundamental in embracing, learning and practising Buddhism
  • Buddhism is a teaching to universal beings - both to the livings and the spiritual world - educating the evils to be good and the good to be better.
  • Buddhism is about treating all with respects and fairness, regardless of the livings and spirituals. That is why killing is forbidden.

Today learning opened up my mind towards Buddhism. No longer just focus on its rituals but also a little bit about the essence of its teaching. I am pleased. Happy Vesak day!