Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Talentime,Tale n Time

I watched Yasmin Ahmad's Talentime this afternoon. It moves me so much. Towards the end to the movie, at the scenes where Mahesh (a speech impaired Indian boy) kneel before his mom confessing his love to Melor (Muslim girl) and the closing score performed by Hafiz for his love to his mom really opened my floodgate and many times i almost failed to hold back and really want to sob out loud.

Yasmin did it a again, evoked our emotion and compassion through her story telling. Bravo!




And the song... O Re Piya (a Hindi song, i.e. Oh my beloved)... has kept lingering in my head for the last 8 hours.



Also, I like Melor's family dynamic in the movie - a family with such big hearts. Melor's Yorkshire English speaking granny was so funny too. There are many candid moments in the movies that put a smile to the audiences.

The movie also conveyed hidden messages of social issues that are relevant to fellow Malaysians now, especially on how religion and race now has divided and caused tension in between ethnic groups.

By the way, this movie was shot at my hometown of Ipoh and my younger brother was studying at the school where the story was told, i.e. Anderson School

If you have not watched the movie, please go watch it.